Sunday, December 12, 2010

Something Old, Something New

Dad recently bought my mom a giant new wedding ring. They have been married for 36 years, I'm not really sure what bee got in his bonnet, but all of a sudden he was shopping for a giant new rock and got it for her. He does have prostate cancer, but is low grade and low cells and supposedly going to be very treatable (surgery is happening in January). I don't know if that has had an impact on him and has made him want to do stuff for my mom, but regardless, she got a sweet new ring. Strangely enough, she already had 2 rings. Her original ring was too small after she had kids, and rather than get it sized (like a normal person), dad bought her a new ring. When she got her NEW new ring, she gave me one of her old ones. (Yes, I asked for it....it would have just sat in her bathroom drawer for years if I hadn't). These people aren't that old, but between the two of them, they honestly couldn't remember which was the original ring. Who knows. I just picked the one I like the best. It was totally smashed, the band was all bent up (mom is not easy on jewelry apparently). I took it to a jeweler, he straightened it, sized it (thanks for the giant hands, mom and dad), got it re-plated and the diamond prongs redone. I love it. My wedding ring is silver, mom's is gold, and my mom's and my rings are the only ones I wear, so they don't match, but I really like wearing it. It's pretty, it makes me feel like I am carrying on something from my parents.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know your dad had cancer! I am so sorry. Sounds like its treatable and he will be fine though. I hope so! Too funny about the ring. Next time I see her I will have to check out the huge rock! :)

    ReplyDelete