Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Thaddeus Lee Crossland, 18 months

Where, oh where, does the time go? Summer has flown by, all of a sudden it is gray and raining outside, and my baby is a walking and talking little boy. Probably about time to post an update on life.

So as of September 30, Thad is a year and a half old. We don’t go in for his checkup until next Wednesday, so I’m not sure on his stats yet. I’m going to throw out a guess that he is about 29lbs and 2 ft, 9in tall. We’ll see how close I am.

He walks (obviously), forward AND backward, he runs, he attempts to jump (and gets zero air). He can make a plethora of animal noises: Moo, oink (which is really a snort), baa, who who, hee haw, hisss, cock-a-doodle-doo, an elephant noise of some sort, etc. I asked Justin the other day how many words he though Thad knew, his guess was 20. Really, Justin? That’s way off. I would say more like 50-60. Maybe only 20 if you are talking about words other people would understand. (Assuming you wouldn’t recognize things like “coff-coff” as wash cloth, but come on people, that’s not that hard to figure out). He most definitely has mastered the word “no”, but will only nod his head for yes, he refuses to say the actual word.

He loves books, trains, cars, animals, chasing the cats, especially Penny who is always elusive, climbing, and anything to do with the computer. He throws some serious fits, yes, occasionally in public. Sometimes the fit includes hitting me in the face…not embarrassing at all. We are working on that. For the most part, he is a really good boy, who is very sweet and happy. He gives great kisses and hugs, his favorite is to hug mommy and daddy at the some time, an arm around each neck.

He is a great sleeper, bedtime starts at 7:30 with a bath, then PJs while daddy sings Old McDonald (“eee eye eee eye”) or Wheels on the Bus (“roun roun”). Then he and I sit in his chair and drink a cup of milk cuddled up with his blanket that he calls “B”. I always sing him You are My Sunshine, which I have sung him even from back in our nursing days. He sleeps until around 7:00 or so, usually through the night. Occasionally he wakes up and cries, but usually because he has wiggled out of his blanket, and just needs to be covered back up. He is officially down to one nap per day, usually around 11:00, and always between 2 and 3 hours.

He is eating big people food with the exception of pureed veggies still. Kid doesn’t have a ton of teeth yet, and has a hard time chewing some things, which doesn’t stop him from trying to swallow them whole, so I am hesitant to give him too many veggie chunks quite yet. He loves all types of fruit, cheese and bread. We have the hardest time with meat and his veggies, but in general, he is a good eater, no too many battles.

I still battle with the confidence of feeling like how I am handling him is the best way. Mostly noted during fits or times of ignoring what I am asking him to do. But, overall, I feel like we aren’t messing him up too bad. He gets a lot of love and attention and seems happy. I guess we’re doing ok.

IMG_4496

IMG_4487 IMG_4527

IMG_4540 IMG_4554  SAM_0516

No comments:

Post a Comment