Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Reading with Kids

When we were kids, my mom used to read to us every night. Over the years, she read us TONS of books. Lots of classics like Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, The Secret Garden, etc. Growing up, I was a huge reader, and I still love to read, I just have less time to do it. Thad and I read all the time. He has his favorites, but I can’t wait to read him some of my favorites, especially as he gets older and we can read big books. I have already started to stock pile some of the classics:

IMG_5555

(Note also the sweet bookends that Justin made me out of some fire wood he was cutting up).

Here are some that cannot be missed:

1. Chronicles of Narnia

IMG_5553

2. Where’s Waldo

IMG_5554

Not exactly a chapter book, but definitely one of the favorites in my family while growing up; Who doesn’t love Waldo. I saw these at Costco for like 5 bucks apiece a few years ago. Couldn’t pass that one up!

And what childhood will now be complete without reading these new classics:

3. Harry Potter

IMG_5562

If I have said it once, I’ve said a millions times: my husband is a genius. But the boy does not read. I should re-state that: he does not pleasure read. He does not read fiction. He reads boring stuff. While I have voluntarily read hundreds and hundreds of books, he has probably read a dozen. That may be an exaggeration, but not by a whole lot. One of the few books he has read (and so have I), is this series:

4. The Lord of the Rings

IMG_5560

If I had girls, I would add these to the list:

5. Girly books: Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, plus 2 of my all time adult favorites, The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End

IMG_5563

No comments:

Post a Comment