Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Birthday Boys!

Saturday was the big shindig for the boys’ 1st and 3rd birthdays. Everything came together pretty much as I had planned, with lots of help from Justin and my in-laws. And, it was fun! A bit chaotic and messy, but I suppose that’s all you can expect from a party for 2 little kids.

IMG_1823

The theme was “construction”, which I promptly searched on Pinterest, and found all of my ideas. My goal was to make most of the decorations, and not spend much money on any of it, saving my birthday budget for their gifts. So, forgive me if stuff looks a bit “home-made”. It is.

IMG_1814

The kids table, covered with a dollar tree black table cloth, and given road stripes with duct tape. I did spend $5 on a roll of caution tape, and used it various ways, including around the edge of the kid table.

IMG_1816

The “punch bowl”

IMG_1815

Birthday banner, printed onto construction paper and cut out

(thanks Justin, you are a straight cutter!)

IMG_1812

The play area, turns out that this really wasn’t necessary. None of the kids really played here, and it just created more mess. The signs I made out of poster board.

IMG_1821

The food. Again, tablecloth with road stripes. Balloons tied onto the dowel that usually holds one of my quilts. I guess I didn’t take a picture with all the food out on the table. We just had stuff like, a veggie tray, chips and salsa, a meat and cheese platter, candy, etc. The trucks were dispensers of food, which was really cute. (So the dump truck was ‘dumping’ chips into the chip bowl, a smaller truck was full of reses pieces…etc).

IMG_1819

The silverware and napkins were in Justin’s grandpa’s old tool box

IMG_1818

The cake…SUPER easy, and turned out really. A chocolate cake, with a chunk cut out and piled up to make a mound. I cut the hole, then frosted it, then dumped crushed Oreos into the hole and onto the mound. Chocolate covered “rocks” I found at winco in bulk, and I made safety cones out of orange spice drops and starbursts. Took about 5 minutes to decorate. My kind of cake.

IMG_1837

For little gift bags for the kids, I got $0.77 tool belts from Home Depot, and put candy, a little measuring tape, and a construction pencil in the pockets.

IMG_1861

IMG_1883

Thatcher immediately crushed his cake his his fists, and then proceeded to eat 10% of the little pieces, and throw the remaining 90% on the floor

IMG_1850

IMG_1887

Thad ate his properly with a fork.

IMG_1898

The aftermath. They both got a ridiculous amount of gifts. They got some really fun stuff though. Going to have to re-organize some closets.

Overall, the party was really fun. The only thing I regret, is no family picture. (Justin, are you reading this? Why do we NEVER remember to do that?) Maybe next time.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so after just reading about how I am not supposed to be jealous of what other people do... I am totally jealous of how cute that birthday party turned out! :) good job Nikki!!!!
    And I know you say parenting doesn't come easy for you,but it sure doesn't show! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete