Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Rock Painting

My current craft obsession is rock painting. Maybe ‘obsession’ is a bit strong. But, I did spend about an hour and a half painting rocks yesterday. So….call it what you will. Granted, Thad was painting with me and Thatcher was napping. So, I wasn’t completely ignoring my parenting duties.

My inspiration came from a few sources on pinterest:

The Hungry Caterpillar

A Martha Stewart list of rock crafts

Pet Monster Rocks

Obviously, lots of ideas out there. Thad and I test drove the whole rock painting thing by painting a few rocks like strawberries. We just used acrylic paint, then I sprayed them with a couple coats of shellac.

IMG_2819IMG_2820

Some of them turned out really cute, and some turned out looking like twisted gargoyle strawberries. I won’t say whose were whose…but they went out to live with the real strawberry plants in the backyard. They have been watered a couple of times and even rained on, and still look fine, so apparently the shellac makes them waterproof.

I also plan on painting others for the garden, like these here to serve as little markers.

But, the ones I really couldn’t get off my mind were the hungry caterpillar rocks. And so, naptime project was created yesterday.

IMG_2810IMG_2807

Not to pat myself on the back (much), but I think they look even cooler than the lady I was copying. Truer to the way Eric Carle does his illustrations at least.

IMG_2808

IMG_2809

Thad got bored before I was quite finished, so I will show them to him today. I am sure he will think they are cool. And if not, I will force him to play with them anyway. :)

P.S. Don’t ask me what my bathrooms look like right now. I had more important things to do yesterday. Like painting rocks to look like caterpillars.

No comments:

Post a Comment