Tuesday, September 7, 2010

It's Time!

Prior to the incubation of young Thad, I used to go to the gym after work most days. Even with that, I still didn't feel like I was really in the shape that I wanted to be, largely due, I think, to my eating habits. I like food. It tastes good. Unfortunately, it also makes you fat.

While I was pregnant, I tried to stick with healthy eating habits and I walked every single day over my lunch hour. At first, I walked 3 miles every day. The bigger I got, the harder it got, and that distance gradually declined. But, I still did all that I could every day. A lot of days I walked in the rain with an umbrella and a rain jacket. I actually liked it, it made me feel like I was doing what I needed to do to stay healthy while pregnant. I gained about 35 pounds by the time T was born, which is within what is recommended.

After he was born, I dropped the weight pretty fast without putting out any effort, Within about 2 or 3 months I was within 5 lbs of my pre-baby weight. We are now at just over the 5 month mark. Pound-wise I am actually right at my starting weight, but the quality of the 'material' has gone downhill. I don't look the same in clothes as I used to, and I definitely don't look how I want to look.

Until this point, I really haven't done anything to improve. I think it's time. The first thing I am doing is changing my eating habits. I feel like I can easily decrease my daily calories by at least 500 cal/day simply by eating smaller portions and snacking less. I am also going to get back into a daily exercise habit. Whether it is walking with T in the stroller, or doing a workout video On-Demand, something is better than nothing. My goal is to drop 12 pounds by Christmas. If I can do that, it would get me to a weight that I have not been for YEARS, and finally fulfill the picture I have in my head of how I want to be. I feel like this is my time to make a change! Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment