Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Life As I Know It

I miss some things about my old life. I am not inherently an unselfish person. Unfortunately, having a baby requires you to throw your own desires in the toilet in order to care for the tiny helpless person you created. And I am happy to do it, I really am. But at the same time, it is a little sad to know that some things will never be the same again. 

I miss hanging out with Justin, going places just the two of us. Last year we spent a bunch of weekends working in the yard, doing projects together. I miss that. Now I am limited to doing things just during naptimes, and Justin often has to run errands by himself. 

On that note, I miss going places by myself. Going into a store with just my purse, rather than a baby, a diaper bag, a stroller, a front pack...etc. Heaven forbid I am caught somewhere without a burp cloth.  And on my way places, I miss listening to music at a higher than infant-ear-drum noise level. I'm okay with inflicting damage on my own eardrums, but I just don't feel right about doing that to my child. 

It's a different life. It's different than how I lived before, and different than I expected it to be. But in it's own way, I love it. I miss him when he is napping. He can be the sweetest thing on the planet. I can't wait for him to keep developing, and learning to do more and more. But, I will also miss the days of doing what I want, when I wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment