Thursday, December 30, 2010

Memory

Its funny what sticks in your brain. I can still recite a Shakespeare sonnet that I learned in high school. I had to memorize it and say it in front of the whole class, and I think the terror of doing that cemented it into my brain permanently. I have memorized many Bible verses over the years, but not all of them could I repeat back at this point.

When Thad was a newborn and he refused to fall asleep, I would spend literally probably hours every day/night standing in his room by his crib with him swaddled tight, radio blaring static and jiggling him trying to get him to give up his fight and sleep. I would stand there (or bounce there) near tears and exhausted, staring at the wall (or at my little angel's screaming face). At some point, I decided to make some positive use of my time, and taped up some verses to the wall over his crib to memorize. As a result, I have the following verse so ingrained in my brain, I know I will never forget it:

Romans 9:12-16
Don't just pretend to love others, really love them. Hate what is wrong, hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, taking delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard, and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God's people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.

I like this verse because I feel like it covers a lot of areas. Romans is actually my favorite book of the Bible. A day doesn't go by that I don't repeat this verse in my head, and I thank Thad for his bad attitude. I have learned to be thankful for those first horrible months, it has really taught me to appreciate the good times now. And even though it felt like I wouldn't make it through it, we made it out the other end, and it taught me a lot both about myself and what it means to be a Mom.

On a lighter note, the word "Memory" reminded me of the game Memory that I loved to play as a kid. My mom, being the awesome mom that she is, made a board for our game out of felt....she laid all of the cards out on a big square of felt and then traced around them, so you knew where to lay the cards out. Since I have a good dose of OCD, I always liked to have them neat and orderly. Needless to say, I will be buying a Memory game, making a felt board, and playing it with Thad.

No comments:

Post a Comment