Wednesday, April 20, 2011

1st, 2nd, and 3rd FIRST Birthdays!

My sweet little boy turned one on March 30th. No longer a baby. Actually, it doesn’t make me sad, it makes me excited! I can’t wait for him to keep growing and developing and becoming a little person. He has a definite personality and his own opinions. Up until about a month or so ago, I was still feeling like full days alone with him were tough, and I was feeling worn down by the time Justin got home. Now I truly look forward to each day that I get with him. Maybe I’m a little slow on the mom-band-wagon, I don’t know, but that’s the way it has been with us. We’re getting into our groove though.

My sister had the great idea to rent a house on the beach as a combo celebration of Thad’s first, and my niece’s second birthdays. It was a great way to spend some family time in a relaxed setting, while doing something special too. We went to the aquarium, walked on the beach, and spent some fun time together. Mom and Dad even volunteered to watch the kids one of the evenings, so we could go out to dinner with my siblings and their spouses. We talked about making it a annual birthday location, which I think would be really fun. I was inspired by my friend Bethany’s awesome cupcakes that she has made for her boys birthday’s from the book Hello, Cupcake!. Keeping with the aquarium theme, I made penguin and shark cupcakes. The penguins turned out great, the sharks were a little trickier, but everyone thought they were cool and tasted good, so I considered it a success!  

IMG_3492

IMG_3542

IMG_3477

Thad’s second, first birthday was on his ACTUAL birthday. It was on a Wednesday, so we just had some of Justin’s local family over for dinner and birthday cake. This time, I made a yellow cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting.

 IMG_3562 IMG_3569 IMG_3582 IMG_3587

Thad’s third and final first birthday was with Justin’s side of the family at his parent’s house. His sister made the trip down with us. We decided to make the move and turn Thad’s carseat forward after a little car-sick incident on the way there. Let just say that windy, dark roads, a full tummy, and sitting backwards when you are tired does not make a pleasant combination. Poor boy. But, we made it there okay, he caught a second wind and made his typical ruckus the rest of the weekend. He has gotten GREAT at sleeping other places. Sleeps though the night no problem and goes down for naps without a fuss. Has made weekend traveling much less stressful for me.

We got to visit Grandma and Grandpa’s many animals (cats, dogs, chickens and horses, the latter 2 were a little scary to Thad), and be cowboys in the country. Grandma made a scrumptious lemon and raspberry cake. (Thad has had NO problem adapting to these birthday sweets, which he really hasn’t had at all before, go figure).

IMG_3669 IMG_3671 IMG_3675 IMG_3598 IMG_3608 IMG_3618 IMG_3631 IMG_3644  IMG_3657 IMG_3659 IMG_3664

No comments:

Post a Comment