Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Birthday Project

Before Thad was born, I did a bunch of pictures for his room, which in general has a black and white theme. The pictures all have black and white frames, but are pictures of some of my favorite books when I was a kid: Ferdinand, Corduroy, Cat in the Hat, Peter Rabbit, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and my favorite, but less well known, A Good Fish DInner. 

IMG_1408IMG_1405IMG_1320

IMG_1406IMG_1384IMG_1410   

They are done in various media, water color, ink, and painted tissue paper (that’s how Eric Carle does all of his illustrations, a cool tutorial can be found HERE).

I was actually in the middle of the Cat in the Hat drawing (that one is ink) when my sister called and asked if I could do a couple of pictures for her of (coincidently) the Cat in the Hat. She was working on decorating Ashlyn’s bathroom (I know, la-ti-da, she was not even a year old at the time) in a cat in the hat theme. So, I made another copy of the same Cat in the Hat picture, as well as this one.

IMG_1328

Ashlyn is now big enough to actually USE her bathroom, so I thought a cool idea for her birthday gift would be to paint a stool in the same Cat in the Hat theme. I got a little wooden stool from Michaels, and Justin prepped it for me by filling the screw holes, sanding it smooth and priming it. I put on several coats of white paint and finished it with a water proof lacquer before decopaging a cut out picture from my copy of the actual book. The project turned out cute, and I am told she uses it a lot in their current adventure in potty-training. (Yikes)

IMG_3393 IMG_3429

No comments:

Post a Comment