Friday, January 3, 2014

Brother Bear’s Room

I have always loved Thatcher’s room. It’s cheerful and bright and reminds me of him. At the same time Thad’s room was getting a makeover, Thatcher’s did as well. New carpet, new paint, new molding, and some minor decor updates.

IMG_5841

We took out the rocking chair (kind of sad) and put in new bookshelves. I got these babies from my sister’s garage sale, Justin kindly repainted them for me, adding a dark gray the the back board to make them a little more interesting. I was in love with this idea and thought it would look awesome with the woodland animal vibe, but forever the voice of reason, Justin assured me that just painting the back boards would be a billion times easier. And I’m sure it was. But I’m keeping the other idea on my pinterest board. He can’t stop me.

Justin and I were happy how Thad’s window cornice had turned out, so we decided to do the same thing in Thatcher’s room. The fabric I got at Joanne’s and it’s one of my favorite things in his room. I used the same fabric to cover a mat in one of his picture frames too, which is a super quick and easy way to add some fun to simple pictures.

IMG_5860

In the next few months we will pack up his crib and transition into a toddler bed (waaahhhh!). Not that I am sorry to see baby days behind us…it’s still a little sad though. I’ll keep his bedding the same. Can’t beat an owl quilt made with love by Grandma (or pillows made with love by mom, obviously).

IMG_5863

Another big addition is these shelves above his dresser. They are just extras we took out of his white shelves to put more space between the shelves. We got simple metal brackets, so this was like a 3 dollar project. (Plus Justin’s time, which is PRICELESS, Justin, you’re PRICELESS :)

IMG_5850

Looks like you still need to paint the edge of that lower shelf there, Justin. Can you spot the super cute little hedgehog peeking out from the top shelf? Found that gem at St. Vinnies, along with the raccoon. Also, please appreciate the real owl pictures taken by my sister-in-law while tromping around in the woods doing owl surveys. Hard to see, but the top picture is fluffy baby owls. (Owlets? I think so.) Thatcher’s room also gets to house our growing collection of chapter books, which I am in love with. We are just finishing Charlotte’s Web. I have compiled a master list of wished-for books from various “you must read these books to your kids if you want to be a good parent” lists and gave a copy to my garage-saleing mom.  Does anyone remember Mrs. Piggle Wiggle? Keep your eye out for that one for me. It’s high on my list.

I also have to mention our newest owl in Thatcher’s collection

IMG_5847

That little guy on the left was given to us from my Great-Uncles belongings when he passed away this summer. So a little piece of Thatcher’s Great-Great-Uncle Howard lives on in his room.

Neither of the boys’ rooms are big, but they are cozy and sweet, just like the people who live in them!

IMG_5854

No comments:

Post a Comment